A walk behind string trimmer can be helpful if you want to maintain a large plot of land with a lot of forest. For larger and more demanding jobs, they are usually easier to use than traditional hand weed killers.
All string mowers are a little different. Some are more powerful, but also heavier, while others are less powerful, but easier to manoeuvre and store.
Sarlo Walk-Behind String Trimmer - 190cc Briggs & Stratton Professional Engine, 22in. Cutting Width, Model# SST6
as of 17. August 2019 14:49
as of 17. August 2019 14:49
Free shipping6 new from $329.99
1 used from $306.89
as of 17. August 2019 14:49
Free shipping3 new from $232.67
as of 17. August 2019 14:49
- 159cc OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful 4-cycle gas engine helps you clear the tallest, toughest grass and...
- 22-INCH CUTTING SWATH: Unique shape makes trimming around fences, garden beds, and other...
- USER FRIENDLY: Off-set trimmer head feature helps to trim hard-to-reach places while the 14-inch...
- COMFORT FOLDING HANDLE: Equipped with a comfort folding handle for convenient storage and...
- Sold on Amazon
- VERSATILE - One all-terrain machine mows, trims and clears brush.
- CONVENIENT - Tool-less handlebar adjustment knobs for compact storage and transportation
- DURABLE - One-piece, seamless deck reduces vibration
- MANEUVERABLE - High-wheel design floats over uneven ground and through tall weeds
- The southland wheeled string trimmer features a 20° - 30° trimmer head swivel to trim along a...
- It also has a 5° - 10° trimmer head bevel feature for precise edge trimming along an obstacle
- This wheeled string trimmer provides over 35% more torque vs. A typical 25cc hand held string...
- Multi-streaming trimmer head accepts 0. 095 in. And 0. 105 in. Trimmer string - you choose the...
How do you decide on a string mower?
The trick to finding the right model is how you will use it. If you want to tackle difficult tasks such as clearing a well-developed area or killing hard, invasive weeds, you need a more powerful model.
However, if you wish to maintain your garden, a battery weedkiller may be sufficient. As with all gardening, the right tool for the job is the right starting point.
Take a quick look: here are the best walk behind string trimmers of the year 2019
- Remington RM1159: My favorite model, the best combination of price and features
- Poulan Pro PR22WT: Large 22-inch swath, very easy to roll, high wheels, adjustable cutting height.
- 28463 Earthquake: 5-year warranty, 1-piece construction reduces vibration and fatigue
- Southland SWSTM4317: The cheapest model, ideal for confined spaces
- Dirty Hand Tools 101085: Accepts the .17″ cutting line that allows the machine to cut through very thick brushes.
This is how we rated brush cutters
We have evaluated a hand-held trimmer based on performance, durability, mobility, durability, maintenance and price.
Although each machine has its setbacks, the best rated machines are more reliable and have received better ratings in all areas. From the top trimmers, whose main problem was size and weight, to the lowest rated trimmers, who were more wrong than good, all had good ratings.
As with any machine you buy, it is critical to know what matters and what doesn’t. If you just want to do simple gardening with a push mower like a hand lawn mower, the mower #4 can be perfect for you looking. However, if you are looking for larger jobs, Job 1 may be the better choice.
When purchasing a mower, a warranty is essential. The above mowers have a warranty of 5 to 2 years.
The best rated trimmers generally have a longer warranty as they are generally more reliable. A lower quality lawn trimmer is normally covered by a shorter warranty. This difference in duration suggests much about these machines.
To be honest, companies do not want to deal with customers who theoretically redeem their warranty because the machine has failed. In order to avoid recourse to the guarantee, companies offer a more comprehensive guarantee for their most reliable machines and a shorter guarantee for those that are less reliable. This saves them having to deal with so many customers who are under warranty.
Trust what the warranty says about a product.
Wheel size is an important aspect of a good push mower. Smaller wheels require more effort to turn and manoeuvre on a lawn, while larger wheels are in most cases easier to operate.
A larger wheel has a larger circumference and covers more ground faster than a smaller wheel. The larger the wheel, the easier it is to redirect the machine. In addition, a machine with only two large instead of four smaller wheels is easier to divert.
Machines with larger wheels are also easier to push on uneven and sloping terrain.
All these trimmers have two wheels, so apart from their size they are essentially the same. When choosing a mower, the size of the wheel must play a role in your decision.
What performance are we looking for in a high quality wheel mower?
- Ability to move through dense grass and weeds
- A motor that does not slip when requested to do so
- Uniformity of performance during the entire work process
An essential aspect of a good lawnmower is its ability to perform more difficult tasks. A trimmer with a motor that slips when attacking thick lawns or weeds is not an effective machine. Most of the hedge trimmers mentioned above have difficulties with thicker brushes in addition to those with the highest rank.
If you expect reliable performance from your lawnmower, look for those with good performance and positive feedback.
The amount of energy required depends on the needs of a workplace. When you try to tackle the harder bushes such as shrubs, seedlings, dense grass or dense weeds. They need more power. If you work with lighter jobs such as well maintained lawns and thinner grass and weeds, the performance will not be so high.
- More power = heavier engine
- Less power = lighter engine
In addition, with more power usually comes a heavier body. Higher performance makes work easier, but also more difficult. With a heavy mower, manoeuvring in uneven terrain can be difficult.
Ease of use
For many people, hardly anything is more important than an easy-to-operate machine. There’s nothing worse than trying to work in the garden with a machine that hurts your back all the time.
Especially if you are an elderly person, a physically challenged person or an outdoor worker – the time you spend with a machine that is difficult to manoeuvre is not fun.
Mobility is an important and decisive factor. With a string mower, manoeuvrability makes work easier. When it is difficult to push a mower on uneven ground, the user is tense. When using machines that are easy to operate, pay attention to larger wheels, lower weight and rounded mowers.
How to choose the best Wheeled String Trimmer?
If you have spent time with string trimmers in the past, you know that some are very difficult to load and have inconsistent pitch lengths. When comparing the best wire mowers, pay particular attention to the mechanism that holds the rope.
The type of rope plays a lesser role than what the line holds. Save yourself the pain of having to fight to change the rope in your machine and trust the critics.
What should I bear in mind when looking at the wheel cutters?
- Simple rotation
- The speed of the swivel arm
- Simple exchange of strings
How much energy do you need?
As already mentioned, the performance required depends on the job in question. If you want to do big tasks with a thicker brush, you need more power.
My choice for the best lawnmower has a higher engine power than the other lawnmowers listed. This gives the machine much more power for hard work. However, as mentioned earlier, this also results in a heavier machine, which may be more difficult to handle.
Remember that even if the most powerful machines can handle the hard scrubbing, you will have trouble removing thinner seedlings and similar leaves with just one sharpener. Don’t expect a 190cm3 engine to cut a young tree, and don’t expect a 100cm3 engine to cut thick weeds. On some models, you may be able to replace the cutting line head with a free cutting head. However, we have not carried out any investigations into this.
Be realistic about your expectations of your machine.
Safety instructions during operation
As with any heavy machine, there is always a risk factor when you use it without taking the right precautions.
Trimmers are very powerful machines that can cause serious damage. One of the biggest safety concerns when working with a trimmer is its ability to cut through almost anything. When the mower is running, toes and fingers can be easily cut.
Do not use a lawnmower with loose clothing or hanging jewellery.
Although direct contact with this machine can be dangerous, its immediate proximity can be dangerous without suitable safety equipment. A trimmer can throw away dirt at high speed when cutting a job, which can be very dangerous for your eyes.
- Do not use the mower on gravel, loose stones, wood shavings or sticks.
- Always wear eye protection during use.
- Wear protective clothing and shoes (no getting caught or loss of objects).
The engine of these machines can also get very hot. Although it may seem less dangerous and more obvious, watch your hands and legs when the engine starts to heat.
Difference between cheap and expensive models
Some users say that buying an expensive machine is a waste of money if the cheaper version works just as well. While others say it’s worth investing in the most expensive machine, not the cheapest. You could argue on both sides.
While it seems excessive to spend so much money on a string mower, the more expensive models are sometimes better. They have more functions and generally a higher overall performance. More expensive models are also often more durable. When serious things begin, most of the most expensive models can last until the end of the fight.
Sometimes you save more money at the end of the day by buying a cheaper model. There are cases where cheaper versions are more resistant. They can support more than one strike and come out with little or no maintenance.
Whether you are investing in an expensive or cost-effective model, your decision should be based on performance and individual needs. If the cheapest is the most expensive, don’t let a price tag tempt you into a better machine just because it’s more expensive.
Top sellers and top brands
- Poulan Pro
- field edge
- Dirty hands
- BLACK + DECKER
- Generic Generic
- Cub Cadet
How much do I have to expect to pay?
If you are looking for a high quality wire cutter, you can expect a price between $100 and $300. As with most things, there are exceptions on both sides, but this is the general rule. However, the quality models listed above cost around 300 US dollars.
One of the main factors that determines how much you pay is the quality you are looking for, and the type of work required.
You’ll probably pay more if you:
- Have more difficult, larger or thicker jobs
- You want more manoeuvrability
- You want more power
- You want a more durable machine
- You want a less frequent interview
If the tasks you want to perform are not so difficult or require less energy, you probably don’t have to spend that much. A $150 machine might be right for you.
But even if it would be good to save money with a cheaper model, you should not sacrifice quality for price.
Walk Behind String Trimmer Reviews
1) Remington 22-inch lawn mower
- Easy to use on level ground
- Regular and clean cut
- Powerful motor for all jobs
- Heavy constructions make manoeuvring difficult.
- Constipation and quite difficult to store
With these impressive features, this powerful string mower is ideal for coping with any terrain.
- 159cc 4-stroke Powermore engine with overhead valves and overhead valves
- A 22-inch cutting swath
- Cutting line 155 mm diameter
- One 14-inch ball bearing
It is easy to start and easy to use. The unique shape of the mowing deck also ensures a clean, crisp, simple and even cut. Smooth-running swivel wheels also facilitate manoeuvring in winding terrain and enable precise cutting lines.
This machine is equipped with a folding handle for easy storage. With its compact, maintenance-friendly design, it is the ideal lawn mower for anyone who wants to maintain a well-kept lawn.
2) Poulan Pro 190cc High Wheel Lawn Trimmer Mower
- The mowing deck and the adjustable speeds make it possible to vary the tasks.
- Powerful motor
- Practical handling
- Installation and maintenance can be difficult
- Some users complained that the wheels were not durable.
This mower has an adjustable cutting deck from 1.6 to 3.04 inches. Ideal for heavy work thanks to its cutting width of 22 inches. Works well on lawns with uneven terrain and more varied layouts. The high rear wheels offer freedom of movement to facilitate tasks.
Powered by the Briggs & Stratton 625 Series engine, this mower can perform virtually any task. Thanks to its durability, you can work near sidewalks, fences, poles, etc. while keeping the nylon thread in place. With adjustable speeds, you can also determine the power and speed required for each task.
3) Earthquake 28463 string mower
- Reduced vibration
- Easy to install and run
- Replacing strings is easy
- Heavy top and difficult to climb and descents
- The front part of the frame seems to be weak.
With the 173 cm3 large 4-stroke engine, almost all work can be carried out on almost any terrain. However, it is said that if the brush or grass gets too thick, the motor will slip, and if you take more time in thicker areas, this mower will do its job and leave a clean cut.
Its design and lightness facilitate manoeuvring and make the user less stressed. Some have suggested that the rope tends to come loose, but that it is not difficult to retreat. It has also been said that although the design must make the rough terrain easy to manoeuvre, it can sometimes be difficult to manoeuvre.
4) Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SWSTM4317 Wheeled String Trimmer Mower
- A practical alternative to the hand mower
- Works well to maintain existing lawns
- Useful swivel head
- Can’t handle thick jobs well
- It’s not a very robust machine.
The Southland wire mower offers 35% more torque than a standard 25 cm3 hand-operated mower. With a multi-stringed head, this machine offers the user multiple line length options. Turning points of 5 degrees and 10 degrees allow easier rotation and greater versatility in cutting. This machine is well suited for grass, especially short grass, and fights thicker dirt.
Users have found this device to work well, but it is too short and can be difficult to use. It should also work as well as a cheaper and lighter wire cutter, and the lower quality of the machine leads to fractions and more maintenance – especially when used for heavy work.
5) Dirty Hand Tools 101085 Walk Behind String Trimmer
- Height and length of the adjustable rope
- High wheels for more mobility
- Easy to start
- Difficult interview
- Lower cutting capacities
This DHT lawn trimmer has some useful aspects:
- Engine Kohler XT675 149cc
- 5 adjustable cutting heights
- Robust steel frame with 14 measuring instruments
- 4 inch diameter Trim Ball with 4 inch heat treated blades
- Wheels 14 “x 1,75” wide
Kohler engines and adjustable cutting heights make this wheel mower a powerful tool. Large wheels allow greater mobility on uneven terrain and a smoother cutting line when working on uneven terrain.
According to our investigations, this is a machine of relatively poor quality. Cut quality, frame thickness, and inconsistent operation cause frustration for the user, but some of these problems seem to be solved by learning to adjust the trimmer to the task at hand.
It can be difficult to find the right wheel trimmer. However, if you know what you are looking for, it should be pretty easy to find the right machine.
The 5 trimmers mowers described above are just some of the highest quality models on the market today. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses.
So how do you know which walk behind string trimmer is right for you?
As superfluous as it may seem at this point, the choice of the best mower is an individual decision. One person’s best mower cannot work well for another person.
Read the reviews, but evaluate the reviews and ratings in the light of your planned activities. What you need depends on what you need. So if you know what you want, get it!